Lemon Poppy Seed Pound Cake

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Sugar Cookie Bars

Submitted by Heather
(Sorry for the dark pictures.  I had to quickly take a shot of these cookie bars at night, because they were flying out of the pan fast.)

Raise your hand if you love those round sugar cookies with half an inch of pink or yellow (or whatever color!) frosting on top.  They seem to be an obsession among certain friends and kids I know, but I have never been able to fully embrace them.  They always lure me into taking a bite, thinking that they're going to be delicious this time.  Some people are going to argue with me that they ARE delicious, but to me they have an artificial flavor that I can't get over.   

Enter these wonderful sugar cookie bars.  They are great for many reasons.  First, does anyone hate how time-intensive sugar cookies are? Oh, I really like to make them sometimes, because I want to decorate cute shapes for the holidays, but sometimes I just want the sugar cookie taste without all the work.  That's why these are so perfect - you make the dough, press it in the jellyroll pan and you're done!  
Secondly, the frosting is really fluffy and delicious.  And if I'm truthful, the frosting is the whole reason for the cookie. Even if you don't love cream cheese, try this frosting.  My friend who doesn't like cream cheese said she actually really liked this frosting. 
And a third reason, as if you need another reason, is that this recipe makes A LOT of cookie bars.  That means you can share the wealth with friends and neighbors and still have enough for yourself.  I mean,you'll still have enough for your KIDS.


Sugar Cookie Bars

1 cup butter, room temperature
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
5 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp lemon zest (optional)

Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each egg. Add vanilla and mix well. In a separate bowl combine flour, salt, baking soda and stir with a whisk to combine. Add to wet mixture and mix just until combined. Spread on a greased 13 x 18" baking sheet (or a jellyroll pan, which is approx. 12x17"). Bake at 375 degrees for about 14-17 min, until light golden brown or until a toothpick comes out clean (they won't look done so do the toothpick test). Cool completely (sometimes I put them in the freezer to speed up the process) and frost.
Here's what they look like out of the oven.  Not pretty, but with a nice, thick coating of fluffy frosting it doesn't matter.


Fluffy Frosting
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
4 ounces cream cheese (1/2 of an 8 oz block) softened
1 tsp vanilla (you can also use almond extract)
¼ tsp salt
4 cups powdered sugar
3-5 Tbsp milk
food coloring (if desired)
sprinkles (I would say optional, but my kids would say "required")

Beat butter and cream cheese until smooth and creamy. Add vanilla and salt. Add powdered sugar in 1-2 cup increments until combined, then add milk a little at a time (you may not need it all) and beat until fluffy and smooth. Spread over cooled cookie bars.  Dig in!


Source: adapted slightly from the-girl-who-ate-everything.com

2 comments:

  1. I've always had a weakness for those pink frosted Lofthouse cookies from the store and you've got me daydreaming about these bars now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bean! I am one of those people who hates the thick ones from the store with the nasty blue frosting. ick. But, I was in a bind and needed to make some thing for a church event and had the ingredients for these. I ate way too many myself. It was a very good recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete