Lemon Poppy Seed Pound Cake

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Cowboy Caviar

Submitted by Heather
Here's a recipe you NEED for summer.  There are so many barbecues, holidays and potlucks where it would be perfect to take Cowboy Caviar.  Plus it's healthy!  Well, the salad is healthy - the chips you use to scoop it up are not so healthy, but at least you can feel virtuous eating all those fresh, chopped veggies.  Aren't they pretty on the plate?
Why is it called Cowboy Caviar?  I don't have any idea.  I promise there are no fish eggs in this recipe. Whew.  One plus about this recipe is that you really should make it a day ahead to let the flavors meld (I love it when I have an excuse to use that word), leaving you free of last minute prep on the day of the event.  Of course then you have to plan ahead.  But that's a problem for another day.
You can really change this recipe depending on what you have on hand.  I've made it as written though and it's delicious just the way it is. I threw in English cucumbers this time, but I don't always do that.  But they were yummy in this.  Just feel free to improvise with different color peppers or kinds of beans (I used only black beans this time).  Also, if I have fresh tomatoes on hand, I use those, though I had to use the canned variety in this picture.  And I used fresh corn and it was definitely a good use of a few extra cobs I hadn't used for dinner.  Oh, and I almost forgot that I used one fresh jalapeno instead of  the canned variety. And if I'm feeling REALLY righteous, I'll use fat free dressing.  See how changeable this recipe is??  So go and be healthy already!  You'll be well on your way to your 5 a day with this dish.

1 15-oz. can black eyed peas, drained
1 15-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 15 oz. can white corn (or fresh or frozen)
1/2 C. chopped red onion
1/2 C. chopped green pepper (or other color pepper)
1 4-oz. can diced jalapeno peppers or green chiles (or 1-2 fresh jalapenos)
1 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes, drained (or equivalent fresh)
1 C. Italian salad dressing (use your favorite)
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
cilantro, chopped
tortilla chips

In a medium bowl combine all ingredients, except chips. Mix well, cover and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.  Eat with tortilla chips.

Recipe source: adapted from Spicy Bean Salsa on allrecipes.com

2 comments:

  1. Last year we had a family picnic and I was trying to think of something no one else would bring so I brought Cowboy Caviar. Well, I wasn't the only one Heather did too. It is a great summertime salsa that tastes refreshing on a warm day plus you don't feel too guilty eating it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah, I'd have to say that great minds think alike!

    ReplyDelete