Lemon Poppy Seed Pound Cake

Monday, July 11, 2011

Peanut Buster Parfait Bars

Submitted by Hannah

I think I have been feeling a bit nostalgic lately. I have made a lot of recipes that we ate as kids and this happens to be one of my favorites probably because it has ice cream in it. Who needs the Dairy Queen when you can whip this up at home. My Grandma Kolberg always had this for us on a hot summer day when all you wanted was something cold. With an oreo crust, vanilla ice cream, peanuts and a chocolate sauce that could be served on cardboard and still taste fantastic, I think this could become one of your favorites also.

Ingredients:

1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream, softened
15 ounces of Oreo cookies, crushed until fine like graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup butter, melted
peanuts
chocolate sauce (recipe below)

Chocolate sauce:
2/3 cup chocolate chips
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup of butter
1 1/2 cups evaporated milk
1 tsp vanilla

Boil all ingredients for 8 minutes in a saucepan, stirring constantly. Let it cool completly before putting on ice cream.

Directions:

Mix the crushed oreos with the butter. Spread and pat firmly in the bottom of a 9x13 pan and freeze. When firm, put a layer of peanuts over the cookies. Spread softened ice cream on top of the peanuts. I also put peanuts on top of the ice cream and then freeze until firm. When the ice cream is frozen, spread the chocolate sauce over the ice cream and put back in the freezer. Once the chocolate sauce has set on top you are ready to eat.

1 comment:

  1. I love this recipe! I remember grandma Dorothy making these for us all the time. They are delicious!

    ReplyDelete