Submitted by: Lisa
This is our absolute favorite shepherds pie recipe. I got it from www.foodnetwork.com
It has a nice rich flavor and even though it has vegies in it, the kids gobble it up. Never any left overs.
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
salt and pepper
1 tbsp tomato paste (I used ketchup)
2 lbs lean ground beef
2 tbsp worchester sauce (I used steak sauce because I was out of worchester)
1/2 c beef stock
1 1/2 c peas
Cheesy mashed potatoes: (when I am in a hurry, I confess..I use potato pearls!)
4 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled, quartered
4 tbsp butter
1/4 c cream
1 cup grated mature white cheddar
salt and pepper
1. Boil potatoes until tender
2. Drain and place them back into the pan and mash them.
3. Add the cream and butter and mash until smooth.
4. Add cheese and stir.
5. Season with salt and pepper
Directions for the beef mixture
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
1. Add butter and oil to a large skillet on medium heat. Saute onions, carrots, celery and garlic until tender, about 7 to 10 min.
2. Season with Salt and Pepper. Once the vegies are softened and start to brown, add the tomato paste and mix evenly.
3. Add the ground beef and cook until no longer pink.
4. Add the worcestershire sauce and beef stock. Season with salt and pepper again.
5. Cook and simmer for another 10 minutes. Mix in peas
6. Transfer to an oven proof baking dish.
7. Place potato mixture on top of the ground beef mixture and spread out evenly. Rake through the potatoes with a fork to create peaks that will brown nicely.
8. Place into the oven and cook until browned, about 20 minutes.