Lemon Poppy Seed Pound Cake

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Spaghetti Squash

Submitted by Lisa



I was given a spaghetti squash by my sister Hannah.  I have never used or eaten one before. So, I thought it was time to give it a try.  Last night I finished canning my tomatoes and had some left when I ran out of jars.  I decided to cook it down into a spaghetti sauce.....and use it on my new squash!

So today was the day.  I cooked it up and topped it with my homemade sauce and I must say, I was pleasantly surprised.  I really liked it and the whole family liked it except my 9 year old.  He didn't care for the "squash" part.  : )


Ingredients:

1 spaghetti squash

Sauce:

spaghetti sauce or marinara sauce.  Either home made or heaven forbid store bought!


Directions


  • Pierce the squash all over with a fork or skewer.  Place it into a baking dish and cover with foil.  Bake for 1 1/2 hours at 350 or until a fork goes into the outside of the squash easily.

  • Cut it in half length wise and scoop out the seeds and throw those away. 

  • Take a fork and use it to "shred" the inside of the squash.









You are now ready to top it with what ever sauce you like!  Enjoy



My sauce:

about 10 tomatoes seeded and peeled.
1 green pepper diced
4 leeks sliced and washed
5 garlic cloves
2 tbsp beef bullion paste
1 tbsp chicken bullion paste
salt
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp basil
1 tbsp parsley

Directions:

  • Cook the tomatoes in a pot until they fall apart.  
  • Mean while, slice and wash the leeks and saute in a pan with olive oil until soft.  Add to the tomatoes
  • Saute the finely chopped pepper in the olive oil.  When softened, add the chopped garlic and saute for a minute or so until fragrant.  Add both to the tomatoes.
  • Continue cooking the tomatoes down, on low to medium.  I used a potato masher to smash them up more once they were really soft.
  • Cook it for about 45 minutes or so, stirring often, to reduce the liquid and intensify the flavors.  
  • Depending on the acidity of your tomatoes, you may need to adjust the lemon juice.  Add all the ingredients by now and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment