Lemon Poppy Seed Pound Cake

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Souffle' Pancake

Submitted by Lisa
This was really fun.  I found this recipe in the Food Network Magazine October 2011.  I just recently got a cast iron skillet also....perfect timing!  Really easy to make and a nice change of pace.  
The recipe called for topping it with an apple pear compote.  I topped it with a bit of powdered sugar and homemade raspberry rhubarb jam which I have aplenty!
Ingredients:

4 tbsp unsalted butter
4 large eggs
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 c half and half (I used skim milk)
3/4 c all purpose flour
1 tsp grated orange zest (didn't use because I didn't have it)
2 tbsp fresh orange juice (didn't use because I didn't have it)
1/2 tsp almond extract
confectioners sugar for dusting
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Melt the butter in a 12 inch cast iron skillet over medium heat.  Transfer 2 tbsp butter to a blender.  (reserve the rest in the skillet off the heat).  Add the eggs, salt and half and half to the blender and blend.

Add the flour and blend until smooth.  Add the orange zest and juice and almond extract and blend.
Heat the skillet with the reserved butter over medium high heat, swirl to coat.  
Add the batter, transfer to the oven and bake until puffed and golden, about 15 to 20 minutes.




Top with a fruit compote, or butter and powdered sugar, or a bit of jam and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I love these! Our family uses a similar recipe (we call them German Pancakes), but it doesn't have the orange or almond flavorings. We cook ours in a 9x13" pan and it works perfectly. Thanks for sharing. I'm going to try this version soon!

    ReplyDelete