I am a huge fan of egg roll wrappers. I use them quite often for the left overs in the fridge. The recipe I am posting is not using leftovers, but is a delicious way to make a meal everyone will enjoy.
2 stalks celery chopped small
1/2 large onion chopped small
2 carrots chopped up small and even
Cabbage..about 1 1/2 cups chopped
1 tbsp butter
4 long dashes soy sauce
3 quick dashes balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp garlic
2 tsp ground ginger
2 cups shredded pre-cooked chicken
1 pkg egg roll wrappers
1 egg..beaten with 1 tsp water
1. Chop the onion, celery, carrot, cabbage. Add about 2 tbsp olive oil to pan, once hot add the chopped vegies. Saute for a couple of minutes.
2. Add butter, 1/4 cup water and 3 dashes of balsamic vinegar and put lid on and let it steam for about 4 minutes. Stir and check tenderness. If still firm, add a bit more water if needed and the soy sauce and put lid back on.
3. Once tender, add salt and pepper as needed and the shredded chicken, garlic and ginger. Stir well. Turn off heat and replace lid. Let sit until ready to make the rolls.
4. Set up a cutting board, empty plate, pastry brush, egg/water in small dish.
5. Take lid off the chicken mixture and let cool a bit. If too hot, it will melt a whole in the wrapper as you try to put them together.
6. Take out the egg roll wrappers and assemble per package directions. I brush the edges of the wrapper with the egg wash, put a spoon ful of the mixture in the center and roll it up with one corner over the mixture, fold in the side corners and roll towards the last corner. Once rolled up, set on the empty plate, and start again until all the wrappers are used.
7. Clean out the pan you were cooking the vegies in. Add enough oil so the egg rolls will be sitting in oil 1/2 way up the side of them. Heat till hot, about med/high temp.
8. Add the egg rolls and fry until golden, flip over and fry the other side. Don't crowd the pan! You will cause the oil temp to drop and end up with soggy egg rolls. yuck.
9. Once you have some fried, transfer to a paper towel lined plate to drain, then transfer to warm oven to keep heated while you fry the rest.
- You can use left over stir fry. The day after, chop up the stir fry so it is small and uniform. Mix in a bit of the rice and wrap in the egg roll wrappers
- Take refried beans, smashed black beans, saute some onion and garlic, add a can of diced green chiles and mix with the beans. Add this with a touch of cheese and taco sauce to the egg roll wrapper and fry them up.
- You can use left over beef roast, grill up some red and green peppers, add some taco seasoning and cheese and wrap these up. Delish!