Lemon Poppy Seed Pound Cake

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Artichoke & Sun-Dried Tomato Stuffed Chicken Breast

Ok. I watched Guy Fieri (from food network: Guys Big Bite) make this dish...Oh man did it look delicious! The picture on the right here is MY interpretation of that dish. I made a few changes because of convienence and available ingredients. It was awesome, if I do say so myself.


3 tbsp olive oil
1/2 c chopped onion
3/4 c chopped marinated artichoke hearts
1/2 c chopped marinated sun-dried tomatoes
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper (fresh cracked)
2 tbsp minced garlic (if you don't have garlic, use something like Garlic Garlic from tastefully simple)
1/2 c white wine (I used chicken stock)
3 tbsp butter
1/4 c grated parmesan
1/2 tbsp finely chopped parsely leaves (I used dried)
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast (I used shredded chicken that I already had cooked)

On the original recipe it has you pound the chicken breasts flat so you can roll the above stuffing into it and cook it in a pan. I did not do that. I had some cooked shredded chicken in the fridge so I used that.

1: Over medium heat, add 1 tbsp of the oil. When hot, saute the onions until translucent. Stir in the artichokes and tomatoes. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, then add the salt, pepper, garlic.

2: Deglaze. Now the recipe calls for wine. I don't drink that, so I have none in the house. I used chicken stock which I made from the chicken paste I keep in the fridge for such occasions.

3: Stir in the butter, when melted, add the parmesan and parsley.

4: Now at this point you would roll this into the pounded chicken breasts. BUT if you are following my way, you would simply toss in the desired amount of shredded, already cooked chicken.

**directions for rolling up the chicken: Rinse, trim and pound out chicken breasts to about 1/4-inch thick. Do not over-pound as holes in the chicken will make it difficult for the chicken to retain the stuffing.

Put 1/4 of the stuffing mixture at 1 end of a chicken breast. Gently roll the chicken breast folding the ends in to help keep the stuffingfrom coming out during the cooking process. Secure the chicken roll with 2 toothpicks. Repeat with remaining chicken breasts and stuffing.

Heat the 2 tablespoons of the remaining oil in a medium saute pan over high heat. Add the chicken breasts, with the secured side of the chicken first, to insure the roll with stay together. Brown the chicken on all sides, add remaining butter, and deglaze with remaining white wine.
***Important. This dish was intended to go along with another recipe from his show:

Paccheri Pasta with Cauliflower and Spinach

What I did, was set aside what I had just made, kept it covered and warm and made this other recipe too. I then mixed it all together into one dish.

1 tbsp salt
1 head cauliflower, cut into flowerets
2 tbsp olive oil, plus 2 tbsp olive oil for drizzling
3 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 c chicken stock
1 bunch of fresh spinach (about 3 cups)
1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes (I used 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes)
3 tbsp capers (I didn't use any)
1 tsp fresh cracked pepper
1 pound paccheri pasta (large tube) @ 2.5 inches x 2 inches. ( I used a smaller tube)
1/2 c grated pecorino Romano (I used parmesan)
1/4 c chopped italian parsley (I used dry)

1: Bring large pot of water to boil, then add salt, and cauliflower. Cook for @ 4 min.

2: Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in large saute pan, saute the garlic, red pepper flakes for 1 min.

3: Remove cauliflower from water with slotted spoon and add to the garlic/red pepper mixture.

4: Saute Breifly until starting to brown, About 3 to 4 min.

5: Deglaze the pan with chicken stock, add the spinach, cover and let it wilt for 2 min..

6: Stir in the tomatoes and reduce heat and let it simmer for 5 min.

7: Bring the cauliflower water back to a boil, and cook the pasta. JUST till aldente.

8: Remove the pasta from the water, add it to the pan with the sauce.

9: Add in the before made dish with the chicken and toss it all together. Sprinkle some parsley on it and serve.

YUM!!

2 comments:

  1. Looks delish, Lisa! I'm going to try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, we tried this last night and everyone thought it was great. Well, the kids didn't really love the sun-dried tomatoes, but they still ate them. I sort of combined the recipes: I sauteed some chicken breasts instead of stuffing them and added a can of chopped tomatoes, 1 tsp crushed red pepper and about 1 Tbsp of capers to the artichoke mixture and then mixed it with the pasta. Yum!

    ReplyDelete