Lemon Poppy Seed Pound Cake

Friday, November 11, 2011

Indian Butter Chicken


Submitted by Hannah

Now I know that Heather just recently posted an Indian recipe but I happen to love Indian food and can't get enough of it so I thought I would add another good one. I would say this dish is definitely the closest I have found to my restaurant favorites, it is delicious. If you are lucky enough like me to have a Trader Joe's near by they have the best 3 layer humus and naan bread that I like to serve with this. My 3 year old usually has seconds of this meal, now that is a successful meal.



1 onion (1/2 lb.), peeled and chopped
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 fresh jalapeƱo, seeded, and chopped
1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
2 teaspoons garam masala ( I only used 1 tsp and added 1 tsp of curry powder)
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cardamom ( I did not add this because it is very expensive but I didn't miss it either)
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup half and half or heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon crushed bay leaves (I used 2 bay leaves instead)
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
1/2 teaspoon coarse-ground black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup (1/8 lb.) butter
2 cups basmati rice, uncooked
Lime wedges
Fresh cilantro, chopped

Cook rice according to package instructions.
In a large saute pan, combine onion, ginger, chili, and oil. Stir often over medium-high heat until onion is lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, garam masala, chili powder, cardamom, and coriander. Saute for an additional 2 minutes.
Scrape mixture into a blender or food processor; add tomato paste and chicken broth. Whirl until very smooth. Pour mixture back into pan, add half and half or cream and crushed bay leaves, and bring to a gentle  boil over high heat (mixture is inclined to spatter). Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, until reduced to 3 cups, about 5-7 minutes. Pour sauce into a bowl. Rinse and dry pan.
Pat the chicken dry. Mix chicken with salt and pepper. Set pan over high heat; add 1 tablespoon butter and the chicken. Stir until chicken is no longer pink on the surface, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the sauce and simmer over medium heat, stirring often, until chicken is no longer pink in the center (cut to test), 3 to 4 minutes. Cut remaining 3 tablespoons butter into chunks and stir into sauce until melted.
Spoon chicken and sauce onto rice. Squeeze lime juice over portions and garnish with cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment