Lemon Poppy Seed Pound Cake

Friday, August 12, 2011

Garlic Tomatoes


I'm guessing a lot of you are starting to see your tomato plants exploding with beautiful red fruit.  I'm not able to have a garden at my house, because we are surrounded by too many trees.  And I don't think my neighbors would enjoy me plowing a plot for my garden smack dab in the middle of my front yard.  Thus, I have a pitiful 3 pots out front with struggling tomato plants.  The bugs and my kids are eyeing the green globes growing there, and plotting who is going to destroy them first.  My neighbor has a large garden, though, and has been generous with her zucchini and tomatoes. There are so many wonderful things to do with those flavorful, homegrown tomatoes.  This recipe is bursting with flavor and freshness.  I'm a lover of garlic (and thankfully my husband is too!), and these are a delicious addition to any meal that needs a flavorful side dish.

1/4 C. chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp. salt
2 T. white vinegar
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. prepared mustard
1/4 C. vegetable oil
2 cloves of crushed garlic

Put all ingredients into a jar and shake.  Remove stems and ends of 8 small tomatoes.  Slice crosswise in 1/2 inch slices.  Place tomatoes in a shallow bowl and pour sauce over the tomatoes.  Chill before serving.

Notes:  These are best if you let the marinade sit for a while for the flavors to blend (or you can let the marinade and the tomatoes sit together for a while before eating and blend the flavors that way).



1 comment:

  1. These look good. I am a garlic lover also and there is nothing better than the fresh taste of a home grown tomato! Thanks beany

    ReplyDelete