Lemon Poppy Seed Pound Cake

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Norwegian Leek Soup

Submitted by Heather

This soup may not look too exciting or impressive, but boy is it delicious.  Ever since I was a kid, our family would have a big Norwegian dinner to celebrate our Norwegian heritage (just one of the many countries our ancestors hail from). And at every celebration, we had this soup.  I think I could have done without the lutefisk or even the lefse, but not this soup.  It's creamy and flavorful and unlike any of the other soups I usually make.  My kids love it too, which is a plus, or I might eat the whole pot of it myself.  

3 large leeks, white and light green parts thinly sliced (discard dark green part)
3 medium potatoes, diced
2 medium carrots, diced or sliced
6 Tbsp. butter
1/2 C. flour
6 C. beef broth
1 tsp. salt
pepper to taste
chopped parsley
1 large egg yolk (optional)

Melt butter over medium heat.  Add sliced leeks and diced vegetables.  Cook 5 minutes while stirring occasionally, to prevent vegetables from browning. Add flour, stirring constantly; remove from heat and add beef broth all at once. Add salt. Return to heat and continue cooking gently until vegetables are tender. Beat egg yolk into soup tureen. Pour soup over egg yolk, a little at a time, stirring constantly. Season with more salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley. Serve at once.
Note: I don't ever use the egg yolk and it always turns out wonderfully.

Source: I have no idea because we've used it for so many years.

No comments:

Post a Comment