Lemon Poppy Seed Pound Cake

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Toasted Almond Granola


In an effort to eat healthier, I have been adding this to plain yogurt (yes you read that correctly). Actually, I mix plain and vanilla together and add the granola with some craisins mixed into it. That makes it all tolerable. But, healthier than the fruit/sweet yogurt.

My kids just eat the granola as is. They really like it, so I have to stash some away for myself and my yummy plain yogurt or it would be all gone! Then what? Plain yogurt by itself? Not going to happen.

This recipe is from http://www.joythebaker.com/ . I love her site. I have made several things from there and have always been pleased.

Makes 8 cups (adapted from Martha Stewart it says)

4 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup silvered raw almonds
1 cup whole raw almonds
1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp butter
1/4 c vegetable oil
1/4 c honey
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

Place a rack in the upper third and middle of the oven and preheat to 325 degrees. Line one large baking sheet with parchment paper.

Whisk together oats, almonds, coconut, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.

Heat, butter, oil, honey and brown sugar until the sugar is dissolvede and the mixture begins to boil. Carefully whisk together so it's well incorporated. Add the vanilla. Pour the warm mixture over the dry ingredients and toss together until all are moistened.

Spread mixture onto prepared baking sheet and bake for 25 to 30 min. stirring twice during baking. Remove from oven and let cool. Store in airtight contaier for up to two weeks.
(I cooked mine about 15 minutes longer. I wanted it crunchier)

No comments:

Post a Comment